Generations of Monroes, beginning in 1870, farmed the tender fruit land at the corner of Dorchester & Thorold Stone roads. The hundred acres was ideal for peaches, and the farm became well known throughout Niagara. They operated a fruit stand across the street from the family homestead, eventually moving that business into their neighbouring barn. Certain city streets, including Elberta, Longhurst and Crawford, were named after varieties of their peaches.
The Monroe family included many prominent members of the community, including Carlton and Gordon Monroe, who were Reeves of Stamford Township, and Jack Monroe, who served on the Niagara South Board of Education.
Eventually the farm property was sold for a housing project and a neighbourhood plaza. The family relocated their historic house to Freeman Street.
There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.