Before the Queen Elizabeth Way was constructed, Provincial Highway No. 8 was the main artery into Niagara Falls from the west. Beginning in the early 1920s, the rapid increase in the number of tourists coming to Niagara Falls by car resulted in the development of many accommodation facilities, mostly cabins and tourist homes. Uncle Tom’s Cabins and Restaurant opened in 1930. An early advertisement highlighted “running spring water in every cabin”, “beds equipped with Simmons Springs” and “swings for kids, big or little”. Today, the Dow Plaza is located here.
There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.