In 1870, a lot next to the first St. Patrick's Church was purchased to build the first completely separeate school in the city. The small frame building had two classrooms, and a rectory. For many years, Sisters of St. Joseph's from the diocese of Buffalo came daily from the U.S. across the Suspension Bridge to teach there.
By 1892, a larger building was needed, and the lot in front of the church was used. The new red brick building had a formal blessing and opening that was a gala occasion, with His Grace, Archbishop Walsh of Toronto and Monsignor Rooney, Chairman of the Catholic School Trustees of Toronto present for the ceremony. The old school was torn down to make room for a new church, the present day St. Patrick's Church, that opened in 1895.
St. Patrick's School was replaced in 1966 by the current school building, which sits on the spot of the very first church.
There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.