Originally located on River Road, the Cliff House Hotel was built in 1872 by Philip Bender. It was originally named for its cliff's edge location on the river bank, and later renamed the Queen's Hotel. It was a two-storey frame structure, with open verandahs on three sides, and guests had a marvellous view of the falls from the upper level. New owners added an ice cream parlour and restaurant.
In 1927, A. H. Collett purchased the hotel, dismantled the building, and had it re-erected on St. Paul Avenue with only minor changes. Today, the building is home to The Queen’s Coach Family Restaurant.