The Ramapo Iron Works plant, 1906, was “operated by electricity” and had its own blacksmith and machine shops. There were over 40 workmen, and the business supplied all the major Canadian railroads with their products, which included brake shoes and railroad track equipment.
Dominion Brake Shoe Company Ltd. acquired the plant in 1958. The principal office for the company was in Montreal, and there were additional plants in Lindsay, St Thomas and Joliette. A few years later, the business became the Dominion Brake Shoe Division of Abex Corp. of New York. In the 1980s, the plant was expanded and new equipment was added. The plant struggled when the economy was poor, and rebounded during better times.
In 1987, ownership changed hands again, when Abex was acquired by the ABC Rail Corporation of Chicago. By 1991, ABC announced insolvency problems and closed the factory. Today, near to this location is home to a medical plaza which includes Stamford Pharmacy.
There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.