In 1898, A. C. Thorburn purchased Smith's Pharmacy on Main Street. It was located in a building that had been at that location for more than 80 years. He named it the Battlefield Pharmacy, and two years later purchased the neighbouring store, Purcel Dry Goods. Thorburn Drug Store was born. The back of the building housed a telephone exchange, and after that, a police station and community jail.
The franchise expanded as Mr. Thorburn built a pharmacy at Victoria Avenue near Centre Street, and a third branch opened downtown, first on Erie Avenue and then Queen Street. In 1933, he sold the businesses to Clarence Muisiner and William Combe, who kept the Thorburn name.
In 1991, customers were notified that Thorburns would be opening at its new Shoppers Drug Mart location on Lundy’s Lane.
The Main Street location currently hosts Niagara Falls Pawnbroker Services.
There will be a poster of a historic photo on site at this location during the summer of 2017.